Confused law student wanting to become barrister accidentally becomes barista
Job hunting can be a difficult and stressful process for graduates. Many receive countless rejections from firms they have always dreamed of working for, despite being qualified, competent and passionate.
However, third year law student Jenny Miller has managed to stay out of the fray, bagging a ‘trainee barista’ position at the Whiteladies’ Road Costa Coffee branch.
After a week of trying to contact Jenny, The Whip managed to book an appointment to see her, despite her new busy schedule.
‘I just can’t believe I got a job, Mum and Dad would have been livid if I didn’t! I probably would have had to backpack around India for the fourth time to help those in need. It’s a real relief as I absolutely cannot afford, financially or morally, to do that again.
‘I feel like they’re trusting me to do a lot, even on my first day I was serving clients. I actually recognise some from Lola Lo’s, but I’m always confidential – it’s the law. And I know tons about the law.
‘The biggest thing is that I really didn’t realise barristers did all this food and hospitality stuff – the role has lots of of variety. I thought it was gonna just be, like, reading about GBH and insurance, but it’s much more active.
‘It’s bizarre how poorly law firms like Costa advertise these kind of positions – but why should I care, I got the gig! And I’m pretty well suited – having to remember all those case studies really set me up for memorising the regulars’ favourite hot beverages. That stuff can admittedly be a touch tedious, but really I’m just glad to have a job.
‘Plus, toilet cleaning isn’t all that bad when you’ve had to deal with swathes of shitty arseholes in Wills every single day for the last three years.
‘Do you want your latte pumpkin spiced?’
- 1North London fresher’s attempt to start anew ruined as entire sixth form moves to Bristol
- 2Fresher dismayed to find cacti, scratch map and wall hanging not actually substitute for personality
- 3‘It’s just a friend mum!’: student dropped off in Redland moves seamlessly from family car into back seat of black BMW
- 4Freshers caught frantically burning skinny jeans under cover of darkness
- 5Loser condemned to 3 years of friendless misery after posting in fresher Facebook group