Self-fulfilling prophecy: no-one talking about ‘Taboo’ nightclub
‘Some things are better left unsaid.’ Unfortunately, as one unspoken nightclub has admitted today, this aphorism is not an effective business model for a nighttime bar and discotheque.
‘Taboo’ is the
name, and not speaking about it is the game. People avoid the ‘Taboo’ at all
costs: no one discusses it, goes into it, or remembers it. The cursed club is
shrouded it its own shadow of unmentionability, as – once again – nominative
determinism rears its ugly head.
speakeasy is situated on the B-side of The Triangle between La Rocca and Piri
Piri (if you reach the Hunger Hatch you’ve gone too far). The establishment’s
inside is damp, warm and partially ventilated – the perfect conditions for
either seed germination or an adequate 5/10 night out.
The Whip spoke to the one regular of the club this morning, reflecting on the naming blunder,
“I’d call it an oversight, yes. I always thought ‘Taboo’ sounded kind of alluring and maybe a bit sexy; but I didn’t realise people took it quite so literally.
“I’m not upset, but I would appreciate consistency in this whole nominative determinism malarkey. They don’t get spoken about, but Mbargos doesn’t get trade sanctions imposed on it, and Lizard Lounge isn’t reserved for gecko’s kicking back, a Corona in one hand and good vibes in the other.”
The Whip also attempted to get some interviews with other members of the student body but, unfortunately, no one had heard about the club in question, or if they had, they refused to talk about it.
- 1North London fresher’s attempt to start anew ruined as entire sixth form moves to Bristol
- 2Fresher dismayed to find cacti, scratch map and wall hanging not actually substitute for personality
- 3Breaking: Theresa May starts filling out extenuating circumstances form
- 4Oak House students seeking prison sentences in bid for more homely accommodation
- 5Freshers caught frantically burning skinny jeans under cover of darkness