Diabetic student excited for Refreshers’ week
Reports emerged from Owens Park this weekend of a diabetic fresher who “almost went in to hyperglycaemic shock” when he realised the first week back after exams was being dedicated to Swizzels’ Refreshers sweets.
“I’m so happy, I’ve been dancing around my room all day singing ‘Sugar, Sugar’ by The Archies. I should probably get a Snickers down me actually, before I slip in to a coma,” first year James Starmer told The Whip.
“This is really great news for us diabetics. We’re forced to carry several hundred calories’ worth of chocolate bars and a whole massive kit for injecting insulin, or face collapsing in the street at any moment. It’s a bit of a pain in the arse, literally – there isn’t anywhere else left for me to inject on my body. So having easier access to a blood sugar boost is really helpful, if only for a week.”
“I can’t wait to get my hands on some of that free lemon sherbet chewy goodness.”
The University of Manchester responded to a request for comment, wishing to correct the teenager. “Refreshers’ Week is an opportunity not only for eating excessive sugar but all other types of unhealthy comestibles, and we will be aggressively marketing local fast food and drinking establishments to reflect that. Happy studying!”
- 1Greta delivers earth-shattering Motion techno set during Bristol visit
- 2Third year revises so hard that ‘chilled study beats’ becomes actual music taste
- 3North London fresher’s attempt to start anew ruined as entire sixth form moves to Bristol
- 4Fresher dismayed to find cacti, scratch map and wall hanging not actually substitute for personality
- 5Breaking: Theresa May starts filling out extenuating circumstances form