New Otley Run Just Going for a Run in Otley
As pubs around West Yorkshire keep their lines dry for the foreseeable future many students find themselves left in the lurch. The inability to revel in drunken debauchery has had the bizarre effect of turning the run-of-the-mill-functioning-alcoholic of a student into a health obsessed, lycra clad joggers doing laps of Hyde Park in the middle of winter.
Thanks to lockdown 2.0, the infamous Otley Run has become a 1.5-mile trail of broken dreams; an apocalyptic ghost town where drunken students dressed in always offensive and rarely original fancy dress once roamed free.
If you listen closely, echoes of “shall we go to the next one” and “you know I’ve always been a pubs over clubs kinda guy” can still be heard floating on the wind.
Instead of this iconic but fairly underwhelming pub crawl, a “new normal” has emerged: a nightmare hellscape of exercise where pints and shitty costumes are replaced with crisp Yorkshire tap water and unironic sweatbands.
For the full experience, bring your housemates and make it authentic by losing them halfway and reconvening at Dry Dock for a thirsty yet sweaty reunion .
By the time the Leeds freshers grace these halls once again, the Otley Run will be but a 5k Instagram challenge that nobody really cares about yet you still feel guilty not for doing.
- 1Greta delivers earth-shattering Motion techno set during Bristol visit
- 2Third year revises so hard that ‘chilled study beats’ becomes actual music taste
- 3North London fresher’s attempt to start anew ruined as entire sixth form moves to Bristol
- 4Fresher dismayed to find cacti, scratch map and wall hanging not actually substitute for personality
- 5Breaking: Theresa May starts filling out extenuating circumstances form